Host Merchant Services enjoys working with partners and sales agents to bring its unique suite of services and features to merchants. However, in that process some really basic guidelines need to be maintained to protect the company’s brand and its trademark. Partners and sales agents using Host Merchant Services brand and features need to abide by the guidelines set forth in this document, our Terms and Conditions, and need to only use the materials for the specific purposes for which Host Merchant Services has given permission.
If you have a written agreement with Host Merchant Services that specifically addresses how you may use the company’s Brand and Features, you do not need to go through the approval process here unless you want to do something with the Brand or Features that was not authorized in the existing agreement. Otherwise, the only time you can use HMS Brand or Features without advance written permission is if tehre is clear and express language on our website stating that y ou can use that Brand or Features without first obtaining permission.
When you use any of the Brand or Features of Host Merchant Services, you must always follow the Rules for Proper Usage included in these guidelines. In addition, Host Merchant Services may provide you with written requirements as to the size, typeface, colors and other graphic characteristics of those Host Merchant Services Brand or Features. If we provide these requirements to you at the time of our approval, you must implement them before using Host Merchant Services Brand or Features. If we provide these requirements to you after we initially gave our permission, you must implement them within a commercially reasonable timeframe.
What is a trademark?
A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device (or a combination thereof) that identifies the goods or services of a person or company and distinguishes them from the goods and services of others. A trademark assures consumers of consistent quality with respect to those goods or services and aids in their promotion.
Why is it important to use branded features correctly?
Rights to a trademark can last indefinitely if the owner continues to use the mark to identify its goods and services. If trademarks are not used properly, they may be lost and one of the company’s most important assets may lose all of its value. Rights may be lost not only because of a trademark owner’s improper use of the mark, but through improper use of the trademark by the public.
Things you can do:
- If you are using a Host Merchant Services trademark, distinguish the trademark from the surrounding text in some way. Capitalize the first letter of each word, capitalize or italicize the entire mark, place the mark in quotes, use a different type style or font for the mark than for the generic name.
- If you do not capitalize the first letter of each word or the entire mark, always spell and capitalize the trademark exactly as they are show in the Host Merchant Services Trademarks and Suggested Accepted Generic Terms below.
- Use only Host Merchant Services approved artwork when using Host Merchant Services’ logos.
Things you cannot do:
- One of the conditions for usage is that you can not mess around with our brand identity. Do not remove, distort or alter any element of a Host Merchant Services Brand item or Feature. This especially applies to the Host Merchant Services logo. Do not change the colors or font or shape of the logo.
- Do not display a Host Merchant Services Brand item or Feature in a manner that is in HMS’ sole opinion misleading, dishonest, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, obscene or otherwise objectionable to Host Merchant Services.
- Do not display a Host Merchant Services Brand item or Feature on a site that violates any law or regulation.
- Do not incorporate Host Merchant Services Brand items or Features in your own product name, service names, trademarks, logos or company names.
- Do not copy or imitate Host Merchant Services’ website design or properties.
- Do not adopt marks, logos, slogans or designs that are confusingly similar to HMS Brand items or features.
- Do not register HMS trademarks as second-level domain names.
If there are any questions about usage, requests for clarification or permission, please submit them through this form here.
List of HMS Trademark Branded Features and Suggested Accepted Generic Terms
The following is a list of Host Merchant Services Brand items and Features (in bold) and suggested generic terms you can substitute for their use if needed:
- Host Merchant Services, Payment Processor, Merchant Services Provider, Payment Network Provider, Processor
- The HMS Guarantee, ironclad best rate guarantee
- HMSPay, Mobile Payment Solution
- HMSExpress, Payment Gateway
- HMSPro, HMS Promotional Credit Offer, HMS Promotional Credit Program
- The Official Merchant Services Blog, merchant services blog, online resource
Host Merchant Services is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Walnut Creek, CA. There are guidelines and rules regarding usage of Host Merchant Services Brand items and Features in relation to the appropriate times you need to acknowledge that Host Merchant Services is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank.